wWw & Woodford Reserve
Women Who Whiskey has introduced it's members to a variety of Woodford Reserve's whiskey expressions. Woodford's collection includes Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Double Oaked Bourbon, Rye, & a yearly Master's Collection. Today I will be showcasing recipes featuring their Bourbon & Rye.
Bourbon Al Pastor Tacos
Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select Bourbon is crafted in small batches, which allows them to develop distinct rich flavors of toffee, tobacco, & citrus as well as a silky, smooth, & creamy finish. I am featuring it today in a revamped version of a classic Al Pastor recipe. I recommend serving this dish with homemade tortillas, Spanish rice, & Frijoles Borrachos.
- Two 3 lb. Pork Loins, cubed
- Two 20 oz. cans of Pineapple Chunks
- 16 oz. Pineapple Juice
- ½ c. Orange Juice
- ½ c. White Vinegar
- ¼ c. Chili Powder
- 6 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp. dried Oregano Leaves
- 2 tsp. ground Cumin
- 2 Chipotle Peppers (canned in Adobo sauce), minced
- 2 Sazon con Achiote seasoning packets
- ½ c. Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 1 bunch of Cilantro
- 1 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Olive Oil
1. Combine all the above ingredients except the cilantro, brown sugar, & olive oil. Marinate overnight in a large Ziplock bag or storage container.
2. About an hour before you are ready to serve the pork, pull the cubed pork loin from the marinade and set aside in refrigerator. Pour the marinade in a food processor or blender.
3. Add 1 cup of Cilantro to the marinade, blend until smooth.
4. Pour the marinade in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the Brown Sugar, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, simmering ~40 minutes. The sauce should be the consistency of ketchup. Remember as the sauce cools, it will become a little thicker, so do not overcook. Cover and remove from heat. Serve as a sauce with the cooked pork.
5. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add ~1 tsp. of Olive Oil to the skillet & sauté the cubed pork in small batches. Add ~1 tsp. of Olive Oil per batch of pork.
Great accompaniments for the Al Pastor Tacos are pickled red onion, pickled or fresh jalapeños, Cotija cheese, cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges.