J.P. Wiser’s is a family of Canadian whiskies, who pride themselves in using high quality ingredients & distinguished craftsmanship to produce premium products. J.P. Wiser’s whisky is aged for a minimum of 3 years in white oak barrels to produce a light & smooth taste. Today I’m featuring J.P. Wiser’s Rye in a deliciously sweet and crunchy treat. Their rye has a well-balanced, full-flavor profile with a rich aroma. Tasting notes include oak, toasted grains, & rich toffee. Enjoy this rye neat or on the rocks while snacking on the caramel crisps.
J.P. Wiser’s Rye Caramel Crisps
2 cups Sugar
½ cup Water (optional, helps prevent burning)
1 stick of Butter
1 cup (1/2 pint) Heavy Cream
2-3 tbsp. J.P. Wiser’s Rye (to taste)
Pinch of salt (optional)
17-3/4 x 12-7/8 Half-Sized Sheet Pan
1-½ sleeves of Original Saltine Crackers
10 oz. bag of Dark Chocolate Chips
1-½ cups of Pecans, crushed (substitute with your favorite nut)
For the Rye Caramel:
Simmer 2 cups of Sugar and ½ cup Water over medium heat, for about 20 minutes, stirring with a silicone (non-stick) utensil, or swirling pan occasionally until sugar and water have blended. Once the water has evaporated, the sugar will begin to crystalize. At this point, add the 1 stick of Butter and continue to stir until blended with the sugar. The sugar/butter mixture will melt and start to caramelize. Once the caramel has reached an amber color, turn off the burner, remove the pan from heat and slowly add 1 cup of Heavy Cream while continuing to stir. Add pinch of Salt and 2-3 tbsp. of J.P. Wiser’s Rye and place back on the burner at very low heat, for ~2 minutes while continuing to stir. If keeping the caramel for something other than J.P. Wiser's Caramel Crisps, transfer to a heat-safe dish or jar and let cool. Store covered in the refrigerator. You will want to bring the caramel to room temperature or heat in the microwave before serving. For J.P. Wiser's Caramel Crisps you can keep the caramel in the pan, off of heat, and continue with the instructions that follow.
For the crisps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line the sheet pan with parchment paper; arrange a single row of Saltine Crackers on top of the paper. You may have to cut some crackers to fill in the space along the edges.
- Pour the Rye Caramel Sauce over the crackers, shaking the pan gently to spread the caramel around.
- Place the baking tray in the oven, back for ~12-14 minutes, checking periodically to make sure the caramel is not burning.
- Remove the tray from the oven then sprinkle with the Dark Chocolate Chips. Place tray back in the oven for 2 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt, then remove from oven and use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the crackers.
- Top the melted chocolate with the crushed Pecans, then place back in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let cool until chocolate has become solid again.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
- Store in cool place with wax paper or parchment paper between slices to prevent sticking.