Virgil Kaine Ginger Bourbon Biscuit Cobbler
This easy to assemble cobbler features bourbon soaked tart cherries, pears, & apples. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream or homemade bourbon vanilla whipped cream.
- 1 c. dried Tart Cherries
- 1/2 c. Virgil Kaine Ginger Infused Bourbon
- 3 Bosc Pears, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 3 Fuji or Pink Lady Apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- Juice (and Zest) from 1 Lemon (reserve the zest for the topping)
- 2/3 c. Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp. ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground Cloves
- 1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ c. White Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- 1 ½ sticks Unsalted Butter, diced into cubes
- 1/3. Hot Water
- 2 tbsp. White Sugar
- 1 c. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp. Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Virgil Kaine Ginger Infused Bourbon
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Zest from ½ an Orange
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prep the pears, apples, & lemon.
In a microwave safe bowl, add the bourbon to the tart cherries, microwave for ~40 seconds to allow the cherries to soak up the whiskey. (You can also soak the cherries in bourbon overnight and forgo microwaving.)
In a large bowl, toss the cherries, pears, & apples with the lemon juice, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, & kosher salt. Pour the mixture into a 13 x 9” cake pan. Top fruit with biscuit dough; see instructions below.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ¾ c. sugar, baking powder, salt, & lemon zest.
Cut the cubes of butter into the flour mixture using your hands, two forks, or a pastry blender. Cut in the butter until a coarse meal forms.
Slowly mix in the hot water to form a wet dough. Drop small clumps of the dough over the fruit filling, and then sprinkle with 2 tbsp. of sugar.
3. Pour heavy whipping cream into a medium bowl with confectioners’ sugar. Using an electric mixer beat the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in the bourbon, vanilla extract, & orange zest, continue beating until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.